Rochester's Endless Buffet Rochester restaurants

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wimpy's Burger Basket - #13 Chicken Combo From Hell

Wimpy's Burger Basket on Urbanspoon

Wimpy's Burger Basket is a great little burger joint in Gates, NY in Gates Center, right by Tinseltown, and seems to be a local favorite. Not only is Wimpy's an excellent choice for greasy and delicious food, but it's open until 2AM from Sunday through Thursday, and until 4AM on Fridays and Saturdays, making it an ideal hotspot for a late-night snack.

Morgan and I have eaten at Wimpy's a few times before, and decided to check it out again for some of the unique items they offer on their menu. On this visit, I decided to give the "Chicken From Hell" combo meal a try, named so for its fiery mix of jalapeno, habanero, and Wimpy's own "Evil Sauce."

Before I go on, I need to give a brief description of my tastes in the realm of spicy food: the spicier, the better. At home, I gratuitously lather my food with sriracha hot sauce (made from sun-ripened chili peppers), and when out dining I normally choose the spiciest food I can find on the menu. Normally, I'm disappointed by how mild it is.

The crowning jewel of the Combo From Hell is a grilled chicken sandwich (which can be substituted with a burger or hot dog "from hell") with jalapeno and habanero peppers, mozzarella and cheddar cheese, small strips of bacon, crispy fried onions, and Wimpy's Evil Sauce. Sides include Wimpy's homemade macaroni salad, and home fries.



Let me start off by saying that this sandwich is HOT. When I say "HOT," I mean if you find sesame chicken too spicy, this will most likely send you into shock or maybe a seizure; this sandwich is like biting into the sun (or, to humor Wimpy's naming abilities, hell). This isn't the overpowering type of spice that obliterates the excellent concoction of ingredients on this sandwich though, but rather a sneaky ninja heat that creeps up on you and uppercuts your tongue, just as you're about to utter the phrase "This really isn't that hot." The beauty of this meal is that it allows you to taste and enjoy the mix of flavors before punching you soundly in the mouth and gut.

The biggest downside to this intensely spicy treat is in the after-effects of eating anything this hot: heartburn, indigestion, etc. I don't have a weak stomach, but it felt like a depth charge had just gone off inside of me, right around the time I took my final bite.

As far as the sides go, the home fries were delicious, crisp, and fresh. The macaroni salad had small bits of carrot and celery in it, but was a bit bland. I also would've liked more celery in the mix, if only to add more texture, since it sort of felt like I was eating soggy, cold noodles. Don't get me wrong; the macaroni salad wasn't terrible, but it wasn't my favorite either.

Overall, Wimpy's once again proved to be a great choice for something different, although it does tend to run a little pricier than similar local burger joints ($7.99 for my combo, so be prepared to shell out some significant green if you're bringing out the whole family). Still, if you're in the area and up for a spicy challenge, Wimpy's Chicken Combo From Hell might be worth a stop.

Score (out of 10): 8

Location: 2160 Buffalo Road, Rochester, NY 14624
Phone Number: (585) 247-3160
Website: http://www.wimpysbb.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter